Monday, May 17, 2010

Breakfast Chronicles 1 – Small Block

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and I could eat if for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Melbourne has a countless amount of great breakfast cafes but it is also easy to run into a bad one. Having a bad breakfast ruins the start of your day. Go to one of my recommendations to ensure the start of your day is as fantastic as your breakfast.

My friend Rosie is my breakfast buddy; together we have sought out the breakfast dens of Melbourne and stuffed ourselves silly many a times. She introduced me to Small Block quite a few years ago now and we having been returning ever since. Small Block is a small nondescript cafe up way up Lygon St, right out of the City and past the masses of Italian restaurants of the Carlton end and well into East Brunswick. As I said Small Block is a small cafe, but extremely popular I recommend going there quite early or avoiding it at peak weekend times or you may be waiting for your meal for awhile or may not even get a table.

I’ve had quite a few good dishes at Small Block but one of my favourites is the Pork Relish Omelette on Toast. This omelette is filled with minced pork and relish and topped with bean shoots and fried shallots. I love this omelette when I want something a little bit different for breakfast.

Pork Relish Omlette on Toast

Another amazing meal at Small Block is one I haven’t actually ordered myself, but Rosie and Brad absolutely swear by it and I have tasted theirs and got a bad case of food envy for my trouble. It’s called the Summer Breakfast so it may not be available in winter. The meal consists of Poached eggs on toast which spinach, avocado, Persian fetta and beetroot relish. The Persian fetta and beetroot relish absolutely makes this dish fantastic and that is coming from someone who doesn’t even like beetroot. Like I said not ordering this dish gave me food envy bad, luckily for me Rosie and Brad were wonderful enough to share!

Summer breakfast

Small Block
130 Lygon St
Brunswick East 3057 VIC
Phone: (03) 9381 2244

No comments:

Post a Comment