Monday, May 17, 2010

Wanderlust for a Glutton

Wanderlust is a strong desire for or impulse to wander, or, in modern usage, to travel and Glutton is a person who eats and drinks excessively or voraciously.

A few months ago I decided to make some changes in my life. I had been doing the same thing, without any sort of direction for some time. I decided to make one big change to prevent myself from going stagnant, to inject some excitement and learn and live some more. My boyfriend, Alex and I decided we would start saving for our adventure trip of a lifetime. We are starting in his home country of Italy, taking to the Middle East in Egypt and right back around through Europe again from Turkey, Greece and Spain to name a few, and hopefully we will make to South America after working in London.

It is because of this decision to embark on a travel adventure, combined with my ultimate passion of food that I decided to start this blog. As anyone who knows me can attest to, the one thing that can have me talking for hours, with that starry eyed look in my eyes and excitement in my voice, is food.

These two passions of travelling and food for me have been forever intertwined. Being born in Cebu, Philippines but growing up in Melbourne, Australia since I was three meant I have been brought up with a great appreciation and understanding of other cultures and their food.

Growing up Filipino meant food was an integral part of family life. My dad cultivated not only a love for Filipino food but also other cuisines from around the globe as well. For as far back as I can remember I was taught appreciation for food and how to cook. I look back fondly on memories of leafing through my dad’s recipe books and tasting the finished outcome of a delicious meal. My dad’s passion for food resonated with me, as he taught me about other cultures and their cuisines.

Every couple of years I travelled to visit the Philippines, and other countries in Asia. I got to experience Filipino barbeques, the live fish markets of Hong Kong, and many other amazing experiences of Asian culture and cuisine.

The next chapter in my gastronomic adventure will be Europe, the Middle East and South America. Here is where I will share them with my friends and family. Whether it is here in my home town of Melbourne, or in my escapades around the globe I’ll be sharing my food experiences with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment