Monday, December 20, 2010

When in Rome.........


The Coliesum

So after KL we flew to London where we had another overnight stay in the ever so exciting Stansted Airport. Luckily we a lovely room at the Radisson Blu where we slept and chilled out until our flight to Rome. After some arguments over luggage weight with RyanAir we were off and on the way to Rome. It was all very exciting as Alex had not been home for around 10 years, so we are excited and anxious to arrive to see his home city and his family.

As we were flying over the Italian Alps into Italy, seeing the snow covered mountains I couldn’t help but getting the biggest rush of excitement. Italy was Number 1 on the list of places I’ve wanted to go all my life, and to go there with my boyfriend to see his family just made it all the better. As we flew into Rome I could see the famous Roman landmarks of the Coliseum and the Vatican from up above, I could hardly contain myself.


The Forum

As we stepped off the plane the first thing that hit me was the heat! It was very hot and humid, and the second thing that hit me was that I was in Rome! We met Alex’s aunties who picked us up from the airport in a flurry of camera flashes, hugs and introductions. We sped off to his Nonna’s house where we had a bowls of fresh pasta waiting for us. We spent the night catching up with his family while I tried to practice my dismal Italian skills. The next day we bought fresh pizza from the deli across the road and set off to see the sights.


Inside the Coliseum which held 50,000 people for sometimes weeks at a time

Little did we know we would not be home for another 8 hours! We were lost down in the maze that is called the streets of Rome. The map was no help as streets merged and became others and walking in a straight line on the map was not as easy as it sounded. Thankfully Rome is full of gems and we managed to find so many things while we were lost. Among them were the Piazza Navona, the Forum, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon. We also did a walking tour of the Coliseum which was well worth the money as we skipped the huge line snaking its way out and we heard the history of this spectacular building.


The Trevi Fountain, a coin thrown in ensures your return to Rome. 3,000 Euro a day is thrown into the fountain

We bought fresh pizza along the way and then stopped in a lovely little cafe for lunch. I had some Ravioli and Alex had a Carbonara which we washed down with some icy cool beers and topped it off with some homemade tiramisu as dessert. It was our first proper day in Rome and we were blown away by this city that had capture my imagination since I was young and made Alex looked back on so fondly. It definitely lived up to our high expectations.


Pasta and beer, can it get any better?


Yes, you can have tiramisu!

No comments:

Post a Comment