Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Baths of Budapest



The sight you are greeted with once you enter

One thing Budapest is renowned for is the amazing indoor and outdoor baths all over the city. They are a legacy from the era when the Ottoman Turks ruled Hungary. What a gift to leave behind! These baths are not only aesthetically beautiful but also have therapeutic and relaxing properties. The waters are said to help ease ailments such as arthritis and aching joints by immersing yourself into them while relaxing your body. The waters, if drunk, are also meant to aid those with digestive problems. Though I can’t say I tried this myself, others I had met said the water tasted like hot rotten eggs, not exactly appealing to my sensitive stomach.



The facade of the Szechenyi Baths



The Whirpool Bath

I went to the Szechenyi Baths, built in 1881, have both indoor and outdoor facilities and are absolutely beautiful. There were 3 large outdoor pools of differing water temperatures and several different sized baths inside. Some baths also had novelties such as having a whirpool in the middle, floor jets which shoot out water to massage your weary legs or mini waterfalls. It was my last day in Budapest so I spent a good few hours just chilling out, enjoying the sun and soaking up those therapeutic healing waters. What a way to say goodbye to such an amazing city!



The outdoor Szechenyi Baths

2 comments:

  1. Wow,that's insane. I knew I should have added this place to my trip, oh well, till next time!

    ReplyDelete